Saturday, June 1, 2013

Homemade Korean Kimchi

I love to eat. :P
After so long. Is time to post one post for the year of 2013.
I am a korean fans but not crazy for the  kpop artists. I just.... just...  fall in love with the korean foods and love their cultures. Of course I wish to go korean in future. Maybe next year? Hehe get excited whenever think about it. (Daydreaming ....) :D

Somehow, I wish to cook some mouth watering korean dishes to serve my family members. As in my hometown there's very few korean restaurant in town. Not difficult to cook just that not easy to get those korean ingredients that I needed.
Last month my friends and I went to ampang for nice korean food. After the lunch, we wandered around and found that's actually few korean grocery stores there. I bought some korean chili powder, korean noodles, seaweed and etc. 


Since I got public holiday for wesak day so planned to do the korean kimchi with all the ingredients I bought. I had tried once last year, the taste was totally different from what we normally eat in korean restaurant. The kimchi paste I used was bought from singapore by my cousin sister. The ready-to-used paste from korea which is more convenience to make kimchi.
I am going to share out the recipe for making the nice korean kimchi. You will feel amazed after you taste it. 

Ingredient (A) : Napa cabbage for 2 and 1/2 cups of salt  

Ingredient (B) : For porridge :

  •  1/2 cups of sweet rice flour
  •  1/4 cups of sugar and 3 cups of water
Ingredient (C) :

  • 1 cups of fish sauce
  • 4-6 cups of hot pepper flakes
  • 1 cups of fresh minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp of minced ginger
  • 1 pear (juice)
  • 1 medium sized onion (minced) 
  • 3 stalks of green onion (2 inches-size)
  • 2 cups of asian chives (2 inches-size) 
  • 2 cups of matchstick-cut radish 
  • 1 cups of cinchalok (shrimp paste)
  • Some sugar (optional)
For napa cabbageSteps: 

  1. Cut the cabbage in half  and soak into salt water to wash it thoroughly.
  2. Sprinkle salt over each leaf and then set aside for 2 hours.
  3. 2 hours later, turn the cabbage to another side so they get salted evenly.
  4. Another 2 hours later, the cabbage become softer and shrunk into smaller size. 
  5. Then, rinse the cabbage with tap water for at least 3 times. 
* Taste the napa cabbage if too salty wash it for few more times. Before putting the kimchi paste squeeze the cabbage to ensure all the water is coming out. Or else during the fermented process so much of water will be coming out and alter the taste. (Bear in mind!)



For making kimchi paste
Steps: 



  1. Cook the porridge. Mix the sweet rice flour and water together, make sure well mixed. Then cook over small-medium heat and stir it constantly.
  2. When it is started to boil pour the sugar into the porridge and stir it well. Make sure the sugar melt completely and off the fire. Set aside and give some time to cool down.
  3. Place the cold porridge into a bowl. Then add in all ingredients one by one.



Add fish sauce, hot pepper flakes, minced garlic, onion, ginger, green onion, asian chives and radish. Lastly the 2 cups of cinchalok then mix all ingredients well.
    Mix it well!

  1. Wear a disposable plastic gloves to prevent irritating your hands. Spread the kimchi paste onto each leaf of the cabbage then shape it nicely before putting into a sealed plastic container or glass jar.

Put the container at room temperature for 1-2 days (depends on room temperature) until well fermented and keep it in the fridge. 


During the fermentation process you can feel the warmness of the container, some bubble with a lot of liquids and sour smells. That means it is already being fermented. The moment when I open the lid the excitement is there, I feel so satisfied when tasting it. The taste is the same as the kimchi made in korean restaurant. I can eat it with a lot of rice! Have a try then you know how the taste will be.. Let's enjoy it as what I did!
* You can use it to cook kimchi fried rice and kimchi jjigae !


Any thing want to ask me? Drop me a message here or my facebook account : wenying92@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment